Hi, I'm Kelly!
Subscribe

Search
Categories

Entries in do it yourself (2)

Monday
Oct172016

diy: mini pumpkin taper candle holders

Despite being more of a spring and summer girl, fall in the south is my favorite time of year to entertain.  There's no pollen or mosquitos so you can actually enjoy the cooler temps and beautiful evenings dining alfresco or even just sipping a cocktail or a cup of coffee on the porch under a cozy throw blanket (my fave).  Fall is also the one time of the year where I give myself carte blanche to go crazy with the slightly over-the-top tablescapes - pumpkins, bittersweet, wicker demijohns, lanterns, even foliage from my yard are some of my favorite ways to add a touch of the change in season (especially since I don't really decorate for it anywhere else in my house). 

A few years ago, I made some taper candle holders out of mini pumpkins and they're one of my favorite DIY's to date!  I originally posted the step-by-step tutorial here but I thought since the weather was finally feeling fall-ish right now in the south, it was the perfect time to re-post it for anyone who missed it the first time around!  This is one of the quickest and easiest DIY's - the most time consuming part is waiting for the paint to dry, so if do-it-yourself projects tend to intimidate you, this is definitely an easy one to try!

What you'll need:

mini pumpkins

cordless drill

3/4 inch spade drill bit (I used this one)

spray paint

Step 1: if there are any stems on the pumpkins, remove them with wire cutters.  Place your drill bit in the middle of the top of the pumpkin and, applying light pressure, drill slowly until about a half inch down into the pumpkin.  DO NOT PRESS HARD ON THE DRILL - it will crack your pumpkin!  Also, make sure the pumpkin is on the floor, not in your hand, when drilling:

Step 2:  Using a butter knife, scrape out the insides of the pumpkin and then spray them with your spray paint. 

Once dry, insert your taper candles and enjoy!  SO easy!

Hope everyone is off to a great start this Monday!

Wednesday
Aug172016

diy versailles planters

My super sweet hubby made me a pair of Versailles planters to flank my front door for Mother's Day this year and I absolutely LOVE how they turned out!  He's made me a lot of things over the years, but these are definitely my new favorites, hands down.  I finally got around to taking some pictures of them over the weekend so I could share the steps on how he made them, in case any of you were interested in making a pair of your own!  There are a ton of different plans online (you can see a few I posted here) but the hubby ended up winging it for mine and they couldn't have turned out better!  These bad boys are on the larger side, which is exactly what I wanted; I tend to think almost anything oversize makes for a much more dramatic impression and that's definitely what I got with these!

We got everything he needed at Lowe's - all the wood was plain old white pine, nothing fancy, because I was going to paint the planters once he built them.  My planters are 33 inches high (with the finals) and 25 inches wide; here is the cut list for ours:

What you'll need:

(2) 2 inch x 2 inch x 8 foot pieces, cut to 30 inches long, for the corner pieces (4 pieces per box)

(10) 1 inch x 6 inch x 8 foot boards, cut to 27 inch pieces.  We used 4 pieces per side of each box (so you'll need 16 pieces per box)

(5) 1 inch x 3 inch x 8 foot boards, cut to 22 inch pieces, for the top and bottom of each side of the box (you'll need 8 pieces per box).

One pack of 1 1/4 inch wood screws

One pack of 1 1/4 inch kreg jig screws

Kreg jig

Table saw

Drill

Decorative wood finials

Primer, paint, paint brush

To make the process a little more seamless, he cut all of the wood for each box at once:

Next, he assembled each of the sides, screwing each 27 inch board to the top and bottom pieces using an electric drill:

Using a kreg jig, he then attached the corners to each piece:

This is what each side will look like when you're done:

Next, attach each side to the other using your kreg jig; of course, I don't have a picture of this step, but you'd basically do the same as you did to attach the corner pieces to each side.  It will look like this when you're done:

Once each box was done, we drilled holes in the top of each corner and attached round wooden curtain finials.  I used these from Lowe's:

Next up, I gave them two coats of primer and three coats of glossy white exterior latex paint (I used Sherwin Williams Extra White), letting each coat dry completely before applying the next and that was it!

I usually have the biggest ferns I can find flanking my front door but this year it was too hot and I was way too pregnant to be gallivanting all over town looking for some, so I settled for two palms from Lowe's in each, instead.  I actually think I like them just as much as the ferns!  To keep them at the right height inside the boxes, my husband used some scrap wood to build a bottom inside, about a foot down from the top.

Every time I turn onto my street, I smile to myself at the impact these beauties make on our front porch.  The white is so crisp against the green palms and the size is so dramatic - the exact first impression I want to make when greeting guests to my house!

Happy Hump Day, everyone!